permaculture - Re: [Fwd: Purple Power - RealAge Tip of the Day]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Georg Parlow <s+l2@nextra.at>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Purple Power - RealAge Tip of the Day]
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 17:18:07 +0200

At 21:39 03.04.00 -0700, you wrote:
or through other tax-funded research, I feel an obligation to defy patent
laws. When I get the seeds, I'll give them away to whoever wants them. Of
course, if the second generation still doesn't taste good, I won't grow
them again! I'm assuming that these purple carrots are simply the result of
classical breeding, but I would like to know for sure that they're not in
any way genetically modified.

way to go! you propably know this, but for everyones bvenefit please let me repeat some advice: assuming that this is an 'ordinary' breed (not genetically engineered) it still is a very young breed - which means that it can impossibly be stable yet. or in other words: a fairly high percentage will not come true to parent, which isnt a proble as long as we know and keep rigidly culling our seedstock. over the years the breed will get more and more stable. so, even if it should be an F1 hybrid, as long as it is fertile at all (very likely) a stable breed true to type can be selected over the years - only the percentage that is Not true to type will be Very high in the first few years. (every heirloom started off as an F1 one day in the more or less distant past...)

keep up the good work!

georg