permaculture - Re:Chickens

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Holmgren <holmgren@netconnect.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:Chickens

Hi Arina, I too started out raising chicks on commercial chick food because
even the organic poultry breeders mag said to. AfterwArds I got bold and
have never looked back. I think the main thing is to isolate the sitting
hen/s from the rest of the flock in a mobile chicken house so that when the
chicks hatch you can make sure they are on fresh ground every day and not
contaminated by poo . Make sure water contains are small so that the chicks
cannot drown in them and feed them small amounts frequently (4-5 times a
day)Sounds like a rolls royce diet they are getting at your place I used
the scrapings of the rolled oat porridge + a little milk or egg yolk (must
be room temperature). Keep feeding the hen her grain and soon they can eat
it too. All my beasties love comfrey and I do too
Cheers, Su

David Holmgren & Su Dennett
Holmgren Design Services
Hepburn Permaculture Gardens
16 Fourteenth St,
Hepburn. 3461.
Australia.
Ph/fax 0353483636
Email holmgren@netconnect.com.au
Website http://www.spacountry.net.au/holmgren

  • Re:Chickens, David Holmgren, 04/02/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Chickens, Ute Bohnsack, 04/02/2000