permaculture - Re: Permaculture in the Tropics!!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture in the Tropics!!
  • Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2099 11:03:15 -0200

Hello April--
Congratulations!  What we have to contribute are  implementation strategies for tropical agroforests, beginning with grasslands or scrub, using rows of pineapples alternating  with rows of  mulch-producing plants, which today are elephantgrass and hibiscus.  Beside each pineapple are planted 3-4 seds, among jackbean, pigeon pea, and a tree, either fruit , wood, or leguminous.  So that by the end of the year you have a whole field  full of new  tree seedlings.  The nest year you can begin to make the selection of which will stay and which will become mulch...

I can draw it out for you, if you like.  There is a humid tropics version, and a drylands version...

Best wishes!

Marsha