permaculture - solar still references Re: Requiring information (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: haroldw@alternatives.com (Harold Waldock)
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: fkowsari@chamran.ut.ac.ir
  • Subject: solar still references Re: Requiring information (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 20:35:35 -0700

>Anybody know of any solar still references? (for salt water - major point
>- design issue)

I'm told that most major coastal marine supply retailers (in the west) have
them for people on sailboats - as part of emergency kits. I've heard of
and read about very simple systems made from plastic bottles too.

Stills would be a major resource in any contamination of public water
supply for both biologicals and for most chemical pollutants (some major
exceptions apply)
War with chemical and biological weapons used against people is still a
horrible and real possibility there - it is a good idea to plan for
disaster.