permaculture - Re: Zinc Levels on Metal Roofs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Zinc Levels on Metal Roofs
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:58:23 EST

Hello,

Appreciate jwb's informative post on low level zinc in water, various health
products etc.

And also the URL for the earthship org.'s rain water collection system.

But what alarmed me was two scientific studies done that indicated zinc levels
and other metals at levels 10 or more times that on rainwater collected off
metal roofs. I don't recall the actual numbers so please check this out
further. I don't like to be an alarmist, but it worried me.

I am sorry I can not find the source, the website and the tables...perhaps
someone on the list is familiar with those studies. And could post the actual
PPM's.

I do not know if the metal roofs tested were enamel or ceramic coated which
might change data dramatically. So

They sure did scare me! The Romans used to drink from lead goblets....

Look forward to comments from folk more expert in this than I:) Frank

  • Re: Zinc Levels on Metal Roofs, FranksFarm, 01/27/1999