permaculture - Ferro-cement

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Permaculture West" <permawest@olywa.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ferro-cement
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:07:48 -0800

I'd like to open a thread of conversation on ferro-cement as I've got
project in mind that I'd like some feedback on. The story goes something
like this:
I have a geodesic dome structure roughly 20' in diameter and 15' in
height
at the center. It is made from sections of 1" galvanized pipe that are all
roughly 3' in length. This was originally a purchased dome kit that used
canvas as a cover. The canvas is aging as here in the NW the ambient air
moisture seems to speed up the deterioration of most materials not made
from steel or concrete.
My thought is to pour a cement slab roughly to the same diameter as
the
dome, reconstruct the dome on the slab, cover the dome with the
appropriate wire mesh and spray the whole darn thing (minus some carefully
designed windows) with ferro cement.
Some of the logistical concerns I have are: 1.) what are my best
insulating options? 2.) would it be possible to somehow pack cob or rammed
earth around and over the ferro cement structure (for added insulation and
"earthy" aesthetics", 3.) how water proof is ferro cement or how would one
water-proof the ferro-cement? 4.) is this idea appropriate for the NW
climate? 5.) How would one apply ferro-cement to the inside ceiling of the
structure (i.e. upside down)?

So I would like to invite comments both on this project and also from
peoples' first hand experiences working with ferro-cement. How user
friendly is the material, etc.?

Regards,
kh

Kirk Hanson