permaculture - watershed mapping

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: michelle ajamian <ajamian@frognet.net>
  • To: permaculture listserv <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: watershed mapping
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:37:56 -0500

Hello!

I am very interested in networking with watershed groups across the
country to develop watershed maps and materials that tell the cultural,

social, and environmental stories of watersheds, to help residents begin
blur the political boundaries on the maps in favor of watershed
awareness, involvement and identification.

I direct and own a small company (MediaMorphosis) that does
communication development and strategies for social change. The company
grew out of my work as an activist, particularly in environmental issues

surrounding coal mining in my area of appalachia and working in land
based intentional communities here. I am also on the board of the
Tropical Conservation Foundation, which has created the Belize
Agroforestry Research Center in the Toledo District of Belize. We've
been doing tropical forest ecology there for the last 11 years.

I have worked with Monday Creek Restoration Project and the
Raccoon Creek Project to develop communication materials that speak to
the general population. These projects have helped me envision
WaterMarks, a MediaMorphosis project to develop strategies for
environmental and cultural restoration through watershed awareness.

The focus of the materials I produce is a hand rendered map that shows
a particular watershed with icons that reveal historic sites, ecological

niches (wetlands, prairies, etc.), recreation opportunities, etc. As a
writer and strategic planner, I also focus on concise histories of the
watershed and clear definitions of adverse impacts of activities that
may undermine water quality. The maps and writing are meant to be used
in brochures, annual reports, newspaper inserts, and web sites.
Realizing that budgets for creating materials are generally nonexistent,

I would like to develop a strategy for finding the funds so watershed
groups can use my company's services. I would like to attend watershed
conferences where I might display some of the work I do and do the kind
of networking necessary to expand my niche.

Peace,

Michelle Ajamian
Director
MediaMorphosis

Post Office Box 2322
Athens, OH 45701
740-797-2040
fax 740-593-3228
ajamian@frognet.net

begin:          vcard
fn:             Michelle  Ajamian
n:              Ajamian;Michelle
org:            Rural Action
adr;dom:        ;;1 Mound Streeet;Athens, ;OH;45701;
email;internet: ajamian@frognet.net
title:          Coordinator, Service Learning
tel;work:       740-593-7490
tel;fax:        740-593-3228
tel;home:       740-797-2040
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

  • watershed mapping, michelle ajamian, 01/25/1999