permaculture - Re: permaculture guide clarification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Yount <yount@csf.colorado.edu>
  • Cc: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: permaculture guide clarification
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 11:51:30 -0700

Terry,

The variety of leucaena we're planting is called a
"golden ball lead tree" and is supposedly native
to Texas, although it may have been introduced from
Mexico some time ago.

A quick search of the Internet revealed some
information at http://www.rock.tap.csiro.au/facts/leucext2.html
on the use of Leucaenas. At this point, I know little
about them except that they're leguminous and nitrogen-fixing.
I'll let you know if my investigations reveal anything more.

Thanks for asking,

Michael
yount@csf.colorado.edu

:}Hi! I have been trying to find out where Leucaenas originate.
:}I have a friend here in South Africa who claims that they are the
:}new wonder tree, But I'm a bit wary of wonder trees in our
:}sensitive fynbos ecology. The so-called wonder trees imported
:}from Australia in the 1800's have displaced large tracts of our
:}indigenous flora. I can find no mention af leucaenas in any of
:}my tree books. Can you possibly help?
:}
:}Terry Wesselink
:}Cape Town