permaculture - Re: permaculture guide clarification

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: martinp@aztec.co.za (Martin Paulo)
  • To: yount@csf.colorado.edu
  • Cc: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: permaculture guide clarification
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 96 17:16:37 EST

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996 14:19:26 -0700 you wrote:
snip
similar experiences? We're planting leucaenas, Texas
>and Mexican redbud, ash, Mexican plum, Blanco Crabapple,
>and mountian laurel. Our soil is very clayey, and I can't
>speak to its chemical composition. The climate tends
>toward long dry spells during the winter, and our rainfall
>is heaviest in May and September.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Michael
>yount@csf.colorado.edu

Hi! I have been trying to find out where Leucaenas originate.
I have a friend here in South Africa who claims that they are the
new wonder tree, But I'm a bit wary of wonder trees in our
sensitive fynbos ecology. The so-called wonder trees imported
from Australia in the 1800's have displaced large tracts of our
indigenous flora. I can find no mention af leucaenas in any of
my tree books. Can you possibly help?

Terry Wesselink
Cape Town
e-mail martinp@aztec.co.za