permaculture - Re: LA & Hort--what's the relationship? (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london>
  • To: permaculture-mg@ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: LA & Hort--what's the relationship? (fwd)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 21:45:17 -0500

------- start of forwarded message -------
>From: fzburger@bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu
Newsgroups: alt.landscape.architecture
Subject: Re: re: LA & Hort--what's the relationship?
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 09:20:37 UNDEFINED

I would like to follow this thread. I have an undergraduate degree in
Landscape Design and a graduate degree in horticulture. The relationship
between the two subject matter areas are interdependent. I don't think an LA
can create environmentally sound designs without a sound knowledge of plant
materials and their adaptability; likewise, I don't think a horticulturist
can
create a design that encompasses basic architectural principles. IMHO, the
beauty of LA is being able to use living materials to create and/or alter the
space around us. Anyone who has looked closely has seen landscapes that are
disaster from an architectural standpoint or from a horticultural standpoint.

These were probably created by people who failed to see the interdependence
of
landscape architecture and horticulture. Here at UC Davis we hope we are
providing LA students with the necessary background in horticulture to meet
their needs when they leave.

BTW... we (the Department of Environmental Horticulture at UCD) are in the
approval process for a new UG major entitled Environmental Horticulture and
Urban Forestry. This major will be a blend of the biological, physical and
sociological sciences to address plant:people interaction subject matter
areas. If we are lucky, it will be available for Fall, 1995. Best wishes!

Dave

------- end of forwarded message -------

  • Re: LA & Hort--what's the relationship? (fwd), Larry London, 12/17/1994