permaculture - Logging 38 acres in Eastern North Carolina; Any Replant Suggestions? (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london>
  • To: permaculture-mg@twosocks.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Logging 38 acres in Eastern North Carolina; Any Replant Suggestions? (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 15:15:03 -0500

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: jmh2001@aol.com (JMH2001)
Newsgroups: bionet.agroforestry
Subject: Logging 38 acres in Eastern North Carolina; Any Replant Suggestions?
Date: 27 Nov 1994 23:00:16 -0500

I will soon be logging my place in Eastern North Carolina. The forest is
predominately loblolly pine with scattered sweetgum, oaks, red maple etc.
The trees are approximately 45 years old. I will be setting aside a
stream side area and a couple of areas of 1 acre or less in size for
diversity. The rest of the property will be replanted.

The property can roughly be divided in half; one half is poorly drained
and the other is moderately well drained. Are there any interesting
species I should consider planting instead of loblolly pine. I have read
some information on white ceadar. Are there any hardwood species that I
should consider?

Thankyou,

Jim Hamrick
------- end of forwarded message -------

  • Logging 38 acres in Eastern North Carolina; Any Replant Suggestions? (fwd), Larry London, 12/10/1994