permaculture - Harvesting to Mimic Nature (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london>
  • To: permaculture-mg@twosocks.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Harvesting to Mimic Nature (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 15:13:09 -0500

------- start of forwarded message -------
From: dstepins@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (David Stepinsky)
Newsgroups: bionet.agroforestry
Subject: Harvesting to Mimic Nature
Date: 27 Nov 1994 22:51:21 GMT

I am curious about harvesting systems to mimic natural patterns. In
Alberta, Canada's boreal forests there is talk of clear cut harvesting to
mimic natural fire patterns that would have occured in those forests
without our fire suppression programs. This would likely involve several
different sizes and shapes of clearcutts, likely following topo or
ecological boundaries.

My question is; is there any work being done in the states on
harvesting to mimic natural patterns? Maybe work studying understory
fire simulation in ponderosa pine forests, or selective harvesting to
mimic blowdown in the pacific northwest?

If anyone has any info on harvesting to mimic nature in any
forest systems, anywhere, let me learn.

Thanks and take care,
Dave
------- end of forwarded message -------

  • Harvesting to Mimic Nature (fwd), Larry London, 12/10/1994