percy-l - [percy-l] ‘Walker Percy’ Review: Writing for Redemption - The Wall Street Journal.

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: lowry.charles AT gmail.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] ‘Walker Percy’ Review: Writing for Redemption - The Wall Street Journal.
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2024 18:54:23 -0400

‘Walker Percy’ Review: Writing for Redemption

Download the Wall Street Journal app here: WSJ.

Mes amis,

I thought some of you would be interested to see that the unofficial but unquestionable organ of capitalism, the Wall Street Journal, has reviewed the Library of America’s reprint of The Moviegoer, The Last Gentleman and Love in the Ruins.  The review itself, written by a guest contributor whose regular employer is the Baton Rouge newspaper, can be characterized as competent rather than profound or innovative, though that may be a function of the limitations under which the writer was working.

For professional reasons I have been a reader of the WSJ for decades.  It is most amusing to see this formerly staid outpost of the Protestant ascendancy now covering literature, art, dance, cooking, pop psychology, student life and other “lifestyle” issues.  Fear not, however: the paper’s editorial stance is unaltered.

Chuck Lowry
Brooklyn, New York

  • [percy-l] ‘Walker Percy’ Review: Writing for Redemption - The Wall Street Journal., lowry . charles, 05/05/2024