percy-l - [percy-l] CFP for SAMLA conference November 2020

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Karey Perkins <kareyperkins AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] CFP for SAMLA conference November 2020
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 10:47:09 -0400

The deadline is extended to June 22 for the Walker Percy (open topic) session at the South Atlantic Modern Language Association Conference in Atlanta, November 13-15 of this year.  See:  https://samla.memberclicks.net/ for more information.

We have one full session of four papers already!  However, I’d love to see more Percy people and Percy papers at SAMLA this year.  We have usually had multiple Percy sessions at SAMLA in the past few years with great ideas, stimulating discussions, and enjoyable camaraderie.  Given that the Walker Percy Center no longer hosts its biennial conference (and the Walker Percy Weekend this year has been cancelled), SAMLA has been a wonderful alternative meeting place for Percy lovers.

Abstract is:

Papers for this session may focus on ANY aspect of Walker Percy's life and/or works, either fiction or non-fiction. Especially welcome are topics relevant to the SAMLA 92 conference theme: Scandal!: Literature and Provocation: Breaking Rules, Making Texts.  Percy's radical anthropology and his unique semiotic broke rules and provided the basis for new texts in both his specialty areas of literature and philosophy.  Please send 300-word abstracts by June 22, 2020, to Dr. Karey Perkins, South Carolina State University, kperkin1 AT scsu.edu.  Please also include a brief bio and any A/V requirements in your abstract.

November is far enough away that we may (hopefully) be safely gathering again!  Of course, no one really knows or can accurately predict the course of the pandemic.  If we are still not free to gather, a lot of conferences and meetings are going to virtual presentations, and it’s possible SAMLA may as well.

Hope to see many of you there — in the meantime, stay safe and healthy!

Karey

Karey Perkins, M.A., M.A.T., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of English
296A Turner Hall, South Carolina State University
Orangeburg, SC 29117
kperkin1 AT scsu.edu | 803-536-7016
www.scsu.edu
Member, Institute for Studies in Pragmaticism
Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX  79409-0002

  • [percy-l] CFP for SAMLA conference November 2020, Karey Perkins, 05/15/2020