percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Ten Best Southern Novels of All Time...

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karey Perkins" <karey1 AT charter.net>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Ten Best Southern Novels of All Time...
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:42:26 -0400

PS:  RE: stalking you college kid on Facebook:  You first have to convince her to “friend” you and that you’ll behave – you’ll avoid putting mortifying posts like “I love you sweetie” all over her Wall for all of her friends to see – that is, if you want to stay her “friend.”  But it’s a great way to stay in touch - that’s how I saw my daughter’s pictures of her trip to Germany – and I know what she’s doing on the weekend.

(Oops – am I really recommending Facebook to the Percy listserv??) But I actually am posting Percy quotes – not sure anyone but a couple of people really appreciate them. Which brings me to a question:  I posted this quote:

"The nineteenth-century Russian novelists were haunted by God; many of the French existentialists were haunted by his absence. The English novelist is not so much interested one way or another. "The English novel traditionally takes place in a society as everyone sees it and takes it for granted. If there are vicars and churches prominent in the society, there will be vicars and churches in the novel. If not, not. So much for vicars and churches." (Message in the Bottle 103).

Followed the next day by: Percy doesn't leave out "...the Americans' perennial disposition toward 'philosophical megalomania.' American failings include pretension, grandiosity, formlessness, Dionysian excess, and a kind or metaphysical omnivorousness.... American novels tend to be about everything. Moreover, at the end, everything is disposed of, God, man, and the world... A large order that, but the American novelist usually feels up to it."

(Hilarious!  Now that had me ROFLMAO!  Percy had a great turn of phrase!)

And someone asked if he has a similar quotes about American cinema?  Obviously he must but…  anyone know of a profound and pithy Percy comment on American cinema?

Another Facebook/Twitter observation – you are limited to a certain number of characters – it’s fast food updates, not long philosophical ponderings that are encouraged, just like our society.