percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Ten Best Southern Novels of All Time...

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Beck, David A" <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Ten Best Southern Novels of All Time...
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 22:39:18 -0400

At the risk of exposing myself as an old guy, what does ROFLMAO mean?

Ever-increasingly clueless,

David

We had this discussion before on the best Percy novel and didn't come to a
consensus - and for me, I've concluded it's impossible to choose. Replace
#6 the Moviegoer with the Last Gentleman? Or another one? How could I say?
As I go through the dissertation and edit the chapters on each, I think
they're all great and do different things - all good and necessary. With
the current dearth of Percy fans and attention - I was surprised - and
thrilled - to see one of his - any in fact, in the top ten, and the rest
filling out the depth of the list.

I have a friend who also says ATKM is best novel ever written - swears by
it, always has. Loved the description of it you gave, Rhonda, - it was
beautiful! And he felt exactly the same way.

I also loved C of D and was ROFLMAO (can you say that about good
literature??) when I read it. Would be a great movie. (Wish Percy's would
be a movie too...)

I'm glad to see O'Connor made the list as well... She is a true genius.

Karey