percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Believers...

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "RHONDA MCDONNELL" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Believers...
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:37:12 -0700

So what do you all think Percy might make of the jihadists? I've been wondering that lately, in light of his thoughts regarding Nazi Germany and the "tenderness leads to terror" concept that he and Flannery O'Connor shared. We can't accuse the jihadists of falling prey to scientific humanism, that's for sure. But what to make of their sort of belief? It seems to me to be as abstracted as any -ism out there, but I'm looking from the outside. Anyone with insight?

--Rhonda

"I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing
than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance"

                                    e.e. cummings