percy-l - [percy-l] re LITR

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: JHForest AT cs.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] re LITR
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 05:18:59 EDT

from Mike's posting:

>>  After all, authentic Christianity (especially as embodied in the inept,
corrupt, scandal-ridden, imperfect, humanly executed/divinely inspired
Catholic Church) has despite its faults, been the most progressive force
the world has ever known to anyone who is familiar with its history --
unfortunately a consistently small minority. <<

This strikes me as one of the main points Percy is making in Love in
the Ruins. We discover a not-quite-now future in which a battered remnant
of the Catholic Church survives after a schism that produces on the one
hand the American Catholic Church (with its Property Rights Sunday) and
the Dutch Catholic Church (in which political relevance is the main
item). Then there's the rag-tag Roman Catholic Church, poor as a
church mouse, bell-less, celebrating Mass in abandoned garages.

Jim

* * *
Jim & Nancy Forest
Kanisstraat 5 / 1811 GJ Alkmaar / The Netherlands
Jim's e-mail: jhforest AT cs.com (alternative address: jhforest AT gmail.com)
Nancy's e-mail: forestflier AT cs.com (alternative address: forestflier AT gmail.com)
Orthodox Peace Fellowship web site: http://www.incommunion.org
Jim & Nancy Forest web site: http://incommunion.org/forest-flier/
photo web site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimforest/sets/
* * *

  • [percy-l] re LITR, JHForest, 10/13/2005