ncmia - [NCMIA] Home Movie Screenings Event Poster

ncmia AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: NC Moving Image Archivists

  • From: Kirston Johnson <kirston.johnson AT duke.edu>
  • To: ncmia AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NCMIA] Home Movie Screenings Event Poster
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 14:27:11 -0400

Hello all,

Karen and I will be creating a poster for the home movie screenings event.  We’d like to have all the important details by this Friday, so that our graphic designer can have the poster completed by September 19.  At that point, we’ll send each of you a PDF of the poster and you can distribute/print it as much as you’d like (or do something on your own).

Event details on the poster will include:

Date
Time
Location (building, room)
List of films to be screened
URL

I think I have most of this info, but I’m missing the time and room in some cases.  Could each of you review the details below and let me know how you’d like me to word things.  Also, if you could fill in the blanks, that would be great.

I’ve attached a couple of still images we thought of using.  Please feel free to comment or share others.  We’d like to use the vertical stack of films for the central image, as that will allow us to stagger details for each institution on the side.  As soon as we have a proof, we’ll send it out.

That’s it for now.  Thank you all for finding these great films and working with us to do this!

Best,

Kirston

Details

Duke:

October 21
6:00pm (confirm)
Rare Book Room, Perkins Library
Home Movies / Regional Films from:
        The Sidney D. Gamble collection (Pilgrimage to Miao Feng Shan, China, 1927, DVD)
        The Glenn Kiner collection (Shanghai, 1928, lenticular, DVD)
        The Frederic Cowper Papers (Paris Exposition, Paris, France, 1937, 16mm film print)
        The H. Lee Waters collection (Kannapolis, North Carolina, 1930s, 16mm film print)
        The Morris and Dorothy Margolin Home Movies Collection (Bangkok, Hong Kong 1965, DVD)

UNC:

October 22
[Time?]
Pleasants Family Assembly Room, Wilson Library
Films:
        8mm home movies and actuality footage shot around the Mississippi Delta
by Bill Ferris (ca. 1960s, film or DVD)
        8mm home movies shot by Allard Lowenstein of travels abroad in Europe,
Africa, and Russia (ca. 1950s, film or DVD)
        16mm home movie of African Americans identified as former slaves shot
        around Florence, SC by Harry Lee Harllee (ca. 1920s, DVD)
        16mm home movie of an African American Baptism ceremony in a lake (ca.
        1960s, film or DVD)
        Home movie footage of a jam session shot by Tommy Thompson (gotta get
        more details on this one, film or DVD)

State Archives / NC State:

October 23
[Time?]
Search Room, State Archives
Films:
        H. Lee Waters films of Hillsborough, NC
        Raleigh Fire Department training film, c.1950s (hilarious)
        Tar Heel Family by George Stoney 1949, very forward thinking film about NC’s natural resources and conservation etc…
        Tomorrow’s Market Today, 1965 film by WRAL about ‘modern’ marketing and economic development and the new Research Triangle Park!
        Jockey’s Ridge for all the People, 1975-1976, moving student film by Ron Hagell about saving the dune from developers and the founding of the state park at Jockey’s Ridge

Kirston Johnson
Moving Image Archivist
Duke University
Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Technical Services
Smith Warehouse
114 South Buchanan Blvd.
Bay 35, Box 90767
Durham, NC  27708