nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulberry question

  • From: Louis Pittman <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulberry question
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 14:12:19 -0600

According to the late AJ Bullard, who imported 'Pakistan' with Mike McConkey of Edible Landscaping Nursery, it originated at Islamabad, Pakistan.  Coldest temperature of record there is 28F.
As a result, Dr. Bullard recommended planting with graft union below ground level so that WHEN, not IF, it froze to the ground, it could re-sprout.

I had a 'Pakistan', from Edible Landscaping... planted with graft union below grade.  It froze to the ground, 3 consecutive years... regrowing 8-10 ft each subsequent year, but never managing to ripen fruit.  I am located on the z6b/7a interface (now 7a by the 'new' USDA hardiness map) 20 miles north of the KY/TN line.  I dug it up and potted it with the intent of taking it to my Dad, who lived on the z7/8 interface in central  AL... but misplaced it somewhere along the way.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY