nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advice on drip irrigation

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice on drip irrigation
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 15:12:31 -0500

Randall,

We have over 11,000 trees we irrigate with drip-irrigation from http://www.trickl-eez.com/. I have installed several additions to our system that includes 2 pump houses and 4 wells. For your needs, you will only need a minimal amount of drip tape with emitters spaced about every 18" apart. Do not use soaker hose or any other type of hose that you cannot control the flow rate.

You can get what you need at Home Depot in the Toro line of products. Here is your planning guide:
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/pig.pdf. Use the http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=162318 and you should have no problem. Everything you will need is at http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/bsd/index.html It is the most similar to the Trickl-eez system we have used for over 10 years. The emitters are spaced for you and the folks at Toro will help design your system for free. You can probably set it up for about $100 including fittings, etc. Be sure to use the Model: 53618 - 1/2" Hose w/ Emitters since those emitters are spaced at 18' intervals.

Depending on your water source, all you will need is 20 to 25 psi to get the amount of water needed for your trees or maybe less. If it is greater than 27 psi, your tape can blow apart at the connectors. We are running 450' rows + at 25 psi and will blow some apart from time to time if we get a bump up to 30 psi. If you need more assistance, e-mail me and I will be glad to assist. If you let me know what your water source is and the proximity of your trees to the source, I can lay it out for you if you would like. Hope this helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Randall Burd" <burdrs@comcast.net>