market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Salutations, market farming

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ipa.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Salutations, market farming
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 16:44:38 +0000

Long before social media, email lists spurred on new ideas and technology sharing

One thing I wanted to share with market-farming, a few years ago we lost of a real pioneer in market farming in Kentucky and high tunnel production in the South, Alison Wiediger .

Paul and Alison Wiediger of Au Naturel Farm wrote Walking into Spring: Using High Tunnels to Grow Produce 52 weeks a Year.

Social media is a good source, too.  It's just that's its more temporal in nature with sketchy archives.

Then again, we also lost the archives to the SANET email list when it went defunct.

Crazy, but SSAWG - Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group folded after 30 years, partly due to Covid since the conference was a central part of its finances.  A lot of great sustainable market farming technology sharing and networking took place at SSAWG.

OK, on a positive note, market farming has grown into a modern ag profession.  The tools and know-how have never been better since it started it started growing with the Farmers Market revolution in the 1980s along with Eliot Coleman's book.

Steve Diver
Farm Superintendent
Horticulture Research Farm
University of Kentucky