market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] overwintering ginger treatment?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: karen <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Market Farming Community Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] overwintering ginger treatment?
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 14:34:26 -0400

I really haven’t dealt with it in pots, but we have a very serious dry season here so plants can go even 2 months without a drink and still come back.  Other years, they may get a splash now and again and also come back just fine.  How much of such ability is due to natural partnerships in a natural soil that may be missing in a Northern pot????? And, I haven’t paid attention to differences in productivity under such varying conditions.  (Gave up formal plantings of turmeric (for at least a while)  and have gone Fukuoka style.)

I think I’d try letting a few potted ones go dry for a few weeks, then start watering.  And, I’d also experiment with variations, but avoiding for at least a while, the sumptuous watering that so inspires turmeric rebirth (and rot if soil conditions wrong).

All best wishes,

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs
Cochrane, DOMINICA