market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Turmeric Root Stock

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: karen <karen AT rootsfarm.info>
  • To: Market Farming Community Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Turmeric Root Stock
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 14:05:10 -0400

Would love to provide you with some lovely organic (noncertified)  turmeric root stock from Dominica but at present U.S. only permits imported turmeric from 5 countries.  Officials at APHIS/USDA said just have your Gov’t Ag people apply — no problem getting on admissible list.  Have been trying for 2+ years to get our Ministry of Ag to do the official necessities but —sigh — Caribbean time…….

Growing turmeric so similar to growing ginger.  Again, plant life cycle is to die back to roots when mature, then spring again months later.  Rhizomes keep getting bigger and more plentiful.  Here is an almost no work plant (except for harvest).

Tried Galangal (another of wonderful ginger family) which makes HUGE lovely plants with serious, hard to extricate rhizomes.  No sign of die-back.

Best wishes to all,

Karen

Roots Farm Organic Produce
Fruits, Roots, Vegetables & Herbs