market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Crows

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Crows
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 15:51:15 -0400

Crows are rarely a problem in our seedling corn, but here are two organic methods of control that've worked for us.

---Shoot, trap, send significant other(s) to pick up roadkill; somehow secure a largely intact dead crow.  Hang securely from a tree limb or a pole in the corn patch, with clear sight all around.  Kept crows away for two years, from pecking our apples and esp. Asian pears.  See internet diagrams for a crow trap.

---Didn't believe this one when we saw it, but we put it in of necessity 2-3 yrs ago to stop corn damage.  Put stakes about every 30-50 ft as needed, stretch string or ribbon between them, several feet high.  Every 3rd-4th row if pressure is not too bad.  Make sure to include edge rows of the planting.  Was explained to me that the crows are leery of flying in & out of the strings.  Whether coincidence or not, it worked immediately for us.  Guy who taught us this, he lives near production corn fields, and he swears by it every year.