market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] crows

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] crows
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 09:29:46 -0400

On May 21, 2016, at 7:44 AM, jpike AT gloryroad.net wrote:

Thanks to all. I have 4 rows 200 ft. long. I have a crow blind but have to
man it sun-up to sundown with no guarantee of a shot. Flashtape and scare
balloons sound promising. I was hoping that I could treat seed with some
noxious (organic) substance that they would hate but would not hinder
germination. e.g. turpentine, mineral oil,etc  ???

Not everything derived from naturally occuring sources is acceptable for organic production, if that's what you mean by "organic substance".

Mineral oil is considered synthetic; OMRI list says to see narrow range oils, which are restricted. I can't tell whether it would be allowed in this use. I also don't know whether it'll work. Turpentine isn't even on the list and I would presume that's prohibited.

I would think you could easily cover 4 rows 200 foot long with row cover, if the flashtape doesn't work. If the soil's cold, you could also cover with clear plastic, removing it once the corn is up enough, by which point it may be up enough to discourage the crows.

Do the crows have anything to eat elsewhere? In my experience, how well any repellent works on any species depends on what choices they have to get fed otherwise.