market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] May produce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] May produce
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 14:09:35 +0000 (UTC)

Lisa,
We also sell lots of greens.  I grow the summer crisp lettuce type and grow it nearly year around.  We start transplanting them out in mid March, into unheated high tunnels.  I also plant kale, tokyo bekana, arugula, cilantro, haikuri turnips and radishes.

We plant in early to mid march for first weekend in May.  If you want a little sooner, you should plant at the end of February.

This year we planted spinach in a low tunnel and covered it with a single layer of Agribon 19.  I believe it was early March.  We have been picking wonderful spinach all this spring.  We also transplanted zucchini in another movable high tunnel in early April.  We will be picking them for next weeks market.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and MoreClay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com
http://rvp.locallygrown.net/
Twitter:@jaysjellies