market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse vs hoophouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Greenhouse vs hoophouse
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 10:28:53 -0500

On Mar 2, 2015, at 9:38 AM, Darren Young wrote:

When I first started I bought one of those little 4'x8' kit plastic greenhouses, it leaked like a sieve and even after trying to seal it I could never get it to hold heat well.

For a while I had an 8' x 8' Farmtek covered with a single layer of heavy vinyl. The cover, taken off every winter, lasted about twice as long as the warranty; but to my surprise and dismay it got even colder in there at night than it did outside. I suspect some kind of evaporative cooling effect from moisture settling on the outside of the cover.