market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heat cables

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heat cables
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:23:56 -0500

I use them in two ways:

- Dug about 8" underground to warm the soil for early transplants;

- About a foot apart above ground, to warm the air under the row cover
of very early transplants.

In 2013, I also built a 4' x 8' seedling table with an 80" cable, loops
5-6" apart buried a couple inches in damp sand. It worked very well,
but the table is just too heavy to be practical. This year, I want to
build something similar, but lighter-weight (styrofoam under the cable,
and some conductive material on top to spread the heat). I've read
somewhere that you need about 12W per square foot to provide adequate
heat; Easy Heat cable usually deliver 5W per linear foot (80' cable =
400W), so you can do the math for yourself.

Good luck with that!

Etienne

--
Etienne Goyer - Le Jardin du Village