market-farming - [Market-farming] Packing Room drain and grey water question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Gary Scott <twinspringsfarmva AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Packing Room drain and grey water question
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 21:17:17 -0400

I am the process of adding onto my barn and enclosing one side for a processing and packing room, that will have a concrete floor.I have looked at all sorts of GAP info, various state extension sites, and have the Family Farmed Org Wholesale Success book. I have already had a new septic system installed to handle the processing room and worker housing. However, now that I have been tracking the amount of water that I am using in my triple sinks, I am concerned about soil and grey water for processing going into the septic system.

My thought was to have a sloped floor that had a central drain with a removable grate to clean out the dirt that settles. Anyone built a processing room with a drain system? Should I bypass the septic and have a separate field for grey water coming from the wash station? Catchment of soil and debris? Grainger Supply seems to have what I need as far as building a floor drain

Appreciate any input !

Gary Scott
Twin Springs Farm

--