market-farming - [Market-farming] Bean Leaf Beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ken Bezilla <kenbez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Bean Leaf Beetles
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 09:18:06 -0400

New to us this year are bean leaf beetles, they're doing a lot of damage to our early plantings of bush beans and pole beans.

Our neighbors planted acres of soybeans for the first time last year; this year they're rotating to corn.  Apparently soybeans are a host crop for bean leaf beetles, and in the absence of soybeans this year, the beetles are coming over to our land to check out our beans.

Anyone ever deal with them?  Any suggestions for how to deal with them organically?

Ken Bezilla
Acorn Community Farm
central VA