market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cover crop -- not grain -- before garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cover crop -- not grain -- before garlic
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 15:22:18 -0500

Dorene,
How about brassicas of some sort, or brassicas alterrnating with buckwheat? There are some mustards that deter some pests. I don't know much about it because we avoid brassica cover crops because we grow so many brassica food crops and have harlequin bugs. There are forage radishes that some people use as cover crops. The SARE publication that Richard Robinson linked to has a wealth of free information on cover crops.

Sorry to hear about the wireworms!
Pam

--
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a Few Acres
http://sustainablemarketfarming.com/
https://www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming
http://www.newsociety.com/Books/S/Sustainable-Market-Farming