market-farming - [Market-farming] Cover crop -- not grain -- before garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <garlicgrower AT green-logic.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cover crop -- not grain -- before garlic
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:35:38 -0500

Hi, Folks!

I’m converting grasslands to cropland and had wireworms in my garlic last year.  So, for the 2014 planting, I’ve put down hairy vetch which I will mow down when it flowers (April?).  I’ll be planting garlic in October.  What type of cover crop do I put down between April and October?

I’ve been told to avoid grains as wireworms like them.  I was thinking of doing continuous buckwheat, but every 4 to 6 weeks seems a bit much if there is an alternative.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

Dorene Pasekoff

Hill Creek Farm