market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] dividing up pork

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: david purpura <davepurpura AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] dividing up pork
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 05:47:40 -0800 (PST)

Hi Beth.  In my opinion, you're making way too much work for yourself.  I allow people to choose their cuts if they get a half or a whole.  Otherwise you make the slaughterhouse crazy with all those instructions, and make yourself crazy trying to keep things straight.  What you're doing is selling cuts, in a bundle.  You should just sell them cuts, and price accordingly.  I don't bother with hanging weights either.  I take them to slaughter, pay the bill, and charge people what I need to charge for what they're actually taking away in pounds ($7.50 / lb this year, fresh unsmoked).  No one understands hanging weights.  If someone wants a couple ham steaks, some chops and bacon then I charge them retail for those cuts.

Doesn't seem off-topic to me... a little diversity gets people excited about the farm and gets them to buy more kale  :)

dave

Apologies, but I don?t belong to any pork lists.  We have 4 pigs gong to
slaughter.  One is to be divided among 8 buyers.  Some want some bone-in,
others not.  Can anyone point me toward information on how to fairly
allocate cuts?  I can divided the hanging weight by 8 for the cost of the
pig.  And can allocate the smoking and sausage processing by who gets what.
But any thoughts on the equivalents between part of the leg made into a ham
and hamstead, and part ground for sausage?  One person wants roasts bone-in,
others no roasts.  I wonder if 1 ? lb roast ? 1 lb sausage? 2 lbs roast ? 1
lb sausage?  Everyone splits chops and bacon evenly.  It is the other cuts
that are puzzling me. Sure is simpler with 2 people sharing, but we ran out
of half and whole pig buyers and do have folks who want smaller amounts.
Thank you for letting me ask off-topic.