market-farming - [Market-farming] OT - how to divide a pig among buyers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] OT - how to divide a pig among buyers
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 17:31:23 -0500

Apologies, but I don’t belong to any pork lists.  We have 4 pigs gong to slaughter.  One is to be divided among 8 buyers.  Some want some bone-in, others not.  Can anyone point me toward information on how to fairly allocate cuts?  I can divided the hanging weight by 8 for the cost of the pig.  And can allocate the smoking and sausage processing by who gets what.  But any thoughts on the equivalents between part of the leg made into a ham and hamstead, and part ground for sausage?  One person wants roasts bone-in, others no roasts.  I wonder if 1 ½ lb roast – 1 lb sausage? 2 lbs roast – 1 lb sausage?  Everyone splits chops and bacon evenly.  It is the other cuts that are puzzling me. Sure is simpler with 2 people sharing, but we ran out of half and whole pig buyers and do have folks who want smaller amounts.  Thank you for letting me ask off-topic.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

It's not that nice guys finish last. They have a whole different notion where the finish line is. - unknown