market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garbanzo beans to repel deer?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garbanzo beans to repel deer?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 14:37:50 -0500

On Nov 30, 2013, at 9:43 AM, Richard Stewart wrote:

The two best deer deterrents are hunters and fence.  We use both.

In my experience all deer deterrents work best if the deer have something else good to eat in the immediate neighborhood; and none of them work very well if you're trying to keep the deer out of the only thing edible by deer for some distance.

A nice green clover cover crop (close to but outside the area you're trying to protect) helps a good deal. Deer grazing on it will only add to the fertilizer benefits.