market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Policies for Leashed Dogs at Market?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Policies for Leashed Dogs at Market?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:48:53 -0400

On Sep 30, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Richard Moyer wrote:

Our market allows dogs, as long as on a leash (city ordinance).

We received a market customer complaint, who said a couple of friends stopped coming to our market due to the number of customers shopping, with dogs in tow.

But, some of our customers come to our market on Sat, specifically because they can bring their dogs.

We have an upcoming customer survey.  Any suggestions for questions about dogs at market?

What policies do you markets have on dogs?

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
Beans and mushrooms still selling well.  As are decorative squashes and corn.

We're located on the sidewalk of a public village street. We couldn't ban dogs if we wanted to, unless the village decided to ban them from downtown in general.

However, I don't see any reason why we would want to. Many people come through the market shopping with their dogs; other people seem to either actively enjoy seeing the dogs, or just ignore them. We've never had any problems.

About ten years ago, at a different market, I did have a dog urinate on an herb container (it was a tall container holding seedhead stage dill, which was on the ground as it was too tall for the shelves.) I called out to the woman, who while trying to appear to ignore me moved away rapidly, without paying for the dill, which I threw out. I wouldn't call that a problem with the dog, however, so much as a problem with the human accompanying the dog. And it was one problem in ten years. And that market was in a public park, where I think it would also have been impractical to ban dogs. -- A third market I went to for a while, which was on private property, did ban dogs. I saw the market manager turn back customers who were headed for my stand because their dog was with them. Those customers never came back.