market-farming - [Market-farming] CSA cancellation policy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Burke Farm <burkefarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] CSA cancellation policy
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 21:32:42 -0400

Hi all,

Timely discussion topic. had my first member just entirely drop out this year.  It is our 5th CSA season.

I offered to refund her money for the remaining weeks and she was very pleasantly surprised.  I think it worked to leave a good impression when someone has decided CSA life is not for them.  We take payment in full before the season starts.

If someone drops out before the season starts I issue a full refund.

If there were a large disaster, flood, fire, etc i would refund the members money to the extent of our ability.  CSA is not our only revenue source so I could do this.  I feel like folks are trusting us with their cash up front, so I should be above reproach in how I handle it.

If we had people dropping out left and right mid season maybe I would rethink our policy, but in that event I might also need to rethink how I was operating my CSA.

Another local CSA had, at least at one time, the ability to join or leave at will, paying for your box on a weekly basis.  I think there is a place for that service too.  I have considered packing extra CSA boxes and offering them at market.  Have not done it yet.

Have also considered dropping the CSA entirely, but the preseason seed-buying cash is really helpful, especially after feeding poultry all winter.  Maybe we should get rid of the egg layers instead!

Lisa Burke
Farming engineers
Central in z 5

  • [Market-farming] CSA cancellation policy, Burke Farm, 09/16/2013