market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How many CSA shares per acre?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mark Weinheimer <mrw601 AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How many CSA shares per acre?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:59:17 -0400

We are at about 33 shares/A.  We don't grow corn or pumpkins. We buy corn from a conventional grower who has lots of class I ground.  We farm mostly class III ground, with a bit of class II soil.  We do some double cropping, and in a tough year like this year, we source some product from other growers.  From the same acreage, we attempt to provide about 100,000 pounds of produce for the Food Bank in addition to the CSA's requirements.  We aren't able to rest any significant acreage with these parameters.  We could use more ground.
-Mark
--
Mark Weinheimer
Farm Manager