market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] How many CSA shares per acre?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] How many CSA shares per acre?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:36:43 -0400

Depends on what your shares are.  I have two sizes, 5 and 10 items, an item being a bunch of carrots, bag of salad mix, one large or two medium heads of lettuce, etc.  Over half are the small shares.  I can do probably 100 on one acre.  I have 2 ½ acres in production, and was going to farmers market but just built farmstand.  I have never sold even half of what I grow.  We also do a winter farmers market off that 2 ½ acres. Small mind you.  Gross sales have been in the $75,000 for veggies and flowers.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

It's not that nice guys finish last. They have a whole different notion where the finish line is. - unknown