market-farming - [Market-farming] Disinfect Tomato Stakes?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <allan.balliett AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Disinfect Tomato Stakes?
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 05:54:36 -0400

Howdy!

I haven't had any serious diseases in my recent tomato crops but we usually have early blight on most plants at some point in the season and we are generally able to get a harvest before we lose plants (if we lose the plant at all from early blight)

We also have never disinfected the oak stakes we use year after year for our tomatoes.

of course, as organic farmers, we've never had to disinfect re-used greenhouse trays, either.

I'm wondering how other folks are handling their stakes?

I really don't want to do it. My extension agent (off the record) just told me that overwinter is sufficient for most spores in this area, which I found surprising

I really don't want to disinfect, so 'just do it' doesn't work for me. But if I'm stupid not to, I want to hear it.

BTW the other day, for the first time ever, I had some surplus intern time and put some of them linseed oiling tool handles. Someone left an oil rag outside in the sun and I'll be damned if it didn't 'burst into flame' a few hours later, setting next to the lindseed oil can and a fueled lawnmower. I know all the rules about oily rags and am very grateful that this rag wasn't dropped in the tool shed but I have to admit that the fact that is combusted so sweetly is pretty amazing.

Allan in WV, who, believe it or not, is ahead with tomatoes this season (there must be a frost yet to come...)

  • [Market-farming] Disinfect Tomato Stakes?, Allan Balliett, 05/31/2013