market-farming - [Market-farming] Help translate seminal market gardening book

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne AT lejardinduvillage.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Help translate seminal market gardening book
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 09:12:38 -0500

Hello everyone,

I hope this email will not be perceived as spam. I have absolutely no
personal interest in this endeavor, I am just sharing to get the word
out on a very interesting project.

Jean-Martin Fortier of La Grelinette, a very small market farm in
southern Québec, has recently published a book on his farming system,
"Le jardinier-maraîcher". It's garnering an incredible amount of
attention in the organic agriculture circles here, but also in
mainstream media. Enough, in fact, that I think it might change the
wind and give a serious boost to the nascent small-is-beautiful
proximity agriculture movement. Pretty much every major newspapers in
the province have had a article on his book, and he's been on TV at
least half a dozen time. It's that crazy.

There is a good reason for that. The book is very, very good. Think of
it as what the New Organic Grower would be if it had been written in
2013. Which isn't surprising, because Jean-Martin is a big fan boy of
Coleman, and it shows. Everything about his book reminds me of NOG: the
writing style, the topics covered, the artwork, even the chapter layout.
But where the NOG start to show its age (it's almost 20 years old,
after all), this book is completely up-to-date with current practice.
It's also very practical, and goes into some very specific details that
the NOG does not cover. As such, it present a workable blueprint for an
extra-small (less than two acres) market farm, which makes it of
particular interest to those just starting up at that scale. Overall,
it's very good indeed and absolutely deserve the attention it is getting.

Jean-Martin is currently raising funds to have the book translated to
English:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Growing-Great-Veggies

I contributed, even though I own and enjoy the current French edition of
the book already. I did, because it would open the book to a much
larger audience, and it deserve a place in every starting market
farmer's toolbox. I think it deserve your support too.

Thanks for reading, and have a good and relaxing Sunday, everyone!

--
Etienne Goyer - Le Jardin du Village
http://lejardinduvillage.wordpress.com

  • [Market-farming] Help translate seminal market gardening book, Etienne Goyer, 02/24/2013