market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harvesting containers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harvesting containers
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 19:40:10 -0600

Hi Andrea,

We use stackable lily bulb crates, which you can usually find used either free or low cost from landscape nurseries, bulb suppliers, Asian grocery stores, and other places.  They don't collapse, but they stack nicely, are very sturdy, and are easy to clean.  They come in a few different depths, seems like all of ours are either 7", 8" or 10".  We love them and use them for harvesting, hauling, stacked storage, we've even made some redneck chaise lounges out of them.  :-)

I looked at the link you sent.  We've inherited a few of these collapsible types along the way.  Our experience with the ones we've had is they are not nearly as sturdy and durable as the rigid lily crates.  Your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
Laurie
Barking Cat Farm