market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] rototillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones \(netzero\)" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] rototillers
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 09:29:59 -0400

I've also got a Kuhn Power Harrow, works pretty well and I would second what Dave said for the most part.  I have pretty heavy clay so I run a chisel plow before I run it though.  I find it doesn't go very deep unless I do that but then neither does a rototiller.  It also makes a more level bed than a rototiller.  It breaks up most of the stuff but some of the plants do stay intact enough to re root if you leave them.  I run my flail mover over the area first to avoid some of the issues Dave mentioned. Also its easier to clean out than a rototiller as the blades are vertical and open on the bottom

There are trash rakes but I've not used them,  They would probably be a good thing to use in conjunction with a power harrow in certain cases.   If I find a used one I'll probably pick it up if I have enough cash on hand at the time.