market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] low cost deer fencing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Deb Taft <deb AT mobiusfields.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] low cost deer fencing
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 22:47:35 -0400

I have a 7-strand fence with a solar charger on my one-acre field.  We have just started having deer problems and discovered that the batteries have reached the end of their lives after 3+ years and need to be replaced.  Prior to that it has worked like a charm.  It is 6.5 feet tall and we have 4x4s supporting it at corners and in the middle of the longer runs of the L-shaped field, with fiberglass posts in between.

With the charger it cost about $1000.

We plan to put in a similar set-up at the field we're opening up this fall.

Best,
Deb
Mobius Fields
Westchester County, NY