market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planet Jr.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thomas Kumpf <tjkumpf AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planet Jr.
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:36:13 -0700 (PDT)

Vern,
I use the 3 tractor mounted seeders minus the hoppers to press/scribe my
lines before I use the push seeder. On my sandy/silt loam soil it also acts
like a cultipacker of sorts. I bought my push seeder years ago before I
bought the G. I have used it for larger bean and pea seed, and I don't like
how high the rate is, need to thin most of the time. I typically don't like
to walk on the beds either, but I'm over that for the most part now.
Besides, my 3 row planet jr cultivator eliminates any footprints anyway.
I use the recommended size holes on the lid of my seed hopper, then
adjust depending on variety i.e. Napoli carrot vs. Bolero, or naked vs.
pelleted. Remember, PJ seeders were developed at a time when thinning made
sense b/c hybrids like we use today were not the norm, so my guess is the OP
seed wasn't expensive and most cultivation was manual and not
tractor/chemical based.
Overall, the PJ has its advantages. I for one am not sold on the Jang
seeder that Johnny's sells. I get better results having multiple seeders for
the job like PJ's, the Earthway, and the pinpoint seeders from Johnny's. No
tool in the toolbox can do every job.
Tom

  • Re: [Market-farming] Planet Jr., Thomas Kumpf, 03/31/2012