market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Voles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Voles
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:45:28 -0400

On Mar 31, 2012, at 7:35 AM, Vern and Amy wrote:

Hi Roy,
   We don't have many voles, but we have pocket gophers, which can be
devastating.  We had one or two cats pretty much clean up 5 acres and
they have been seen hunting another 5 acres.  That may be cleaned up now
too.  Our local exterminator-for-hire swears by his own cats.  Just
don't feed them too much.  You may not want them in your greenhouse, though.

Vern
'
Don't feed them too little, either!

Individual cats have varying interest in hunting and varying ability at it. Cats that were born to and raised by a good hunter, and that stayed with the mother long enough to learn how to hunt well, are more likely to be good at it themselves. (Shelter cats who started off as barn cats are likely to be good hunters, also.)

A good hunter will hunt even when well fed. A poor hunter will starve if not well fed, and, while starving, will be an even poorer hunter due to its poor health.

A good quality but boring dry cat chow can make a good compromise here.