market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Garlic
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:04:02 -0500

On Nov 28, 2011, at 8:00 AM, Todd Lister wrote:

Things work differently for different people in different places. Here in Georgia I have grown garlic for about 10 years and I always plant in early October and harvest in May. Usually up in two weeks. One year I didn't get it in until early December. Even that year it came up in the winter sun in about a month. I've never had it not over winter with greens up.

The different locations could indeed explain the discrepancy. This far north, growth that makes it above ground before winter is probably going to freeze back -- we get occasional temperatures below 0 F. The plant has to start all over; while it can do that, it's lost energy, so the crop is likely to be smaller.

Harvest here is in July. The extra two months before harvest is probably making up for your ability to produce some of the top growth through the winter; which would explain why we also get good crops.