market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] side-dressing garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mac" <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] side-dressing garlic
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:08:52 -0400

This is very helpful.   I never removed mulch at this point, but will this year.  Thanks again for the help and for Todd's mention of the softneck variety.  - mac

Quoting Pam Twin Oaks :
I agree with Dave. Garlic plants make vegetative growth till the daylight length exceeds something like 13 hours, and the soil temperature exceed 60F.(For us, at latitude 38N, that's April 10).  Then they start making bulbs. The quantity of vegetative growth dictates the size of the bulb to some extent. In onions, each leaf is one layer of onion. I'm not sure what that translates to in garlic. After a certain amount more time hardneck garlic makes scapes and about 3 weeks later they're ready to harvest. Hotter springs seems to mean earlier scapes and earlier harvest. If you have scapes it's time to let them dry down (remove weeds and organic mulches). Removing the scapes does make the bulbs bigger, if done early on. Other than that, I believe it's too late to influence size. But you can influence storing quality by improving airflow.

Dorene Paskoff, are you reading this? What can you say?

 Dave said: "my feeling is that fertilizing pushes vegetative growth.  If they're just scaping they're done with that and I don't think fertilizer at this point will help with bulb size. "

Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, VA, zone 7, very hot today. Our hardneck  less than a week till harvest.