market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cropping lettuce leaves

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cropping lettuce leaves
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:27:01 -0500

On 2/25/2011 at 9:23:59 AM, Avalon Farms wrote:
> Has anyone cropped leaves off of developing heads of loose leaf lettuce? Red
> sails to be exact? I needed to supplement the couple mature heads I had so I
> cropped the lower outside leaves off some younger plants. Just 2 or 3 leaves
> per plant. Will this stunt their growth? Seems like these leaves would be
> old
> and unusable by harvest anyway.

In my (limited) experience, it depends on when you do it. I did this to one
robust
set of transplants shortly after transplanting, and they grew up smaller than
their
uncropped and originally smaller littermates. When I cropped in midseason, I
had no
problems and continued great production. When I cropped in warmer weather, I
think it
triggered bitterness well before bolting.

Richard Robinson
www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
Hopestill Farm
www.hopestill.com